Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Love Of My Life - Part 5

My Computer. I got my first computer on 19th April, 1994. It was a 286 with two floppy drives. Around 500 Mb of hard disk. Mono VGA Monitor. Simple keyboard, normal mouse and no multimedia. A Dot-jet printer to complement the entire system. It cost us a little over 1 Lac. It might not have been the most enviable beauty in town, but I was proud of it. I was proud to begin the relationship very early in my life.

I wrote my first few poems using a software on that computer. Harvard Graphics, BASIC and Windows 3.1 were some of the softwares that I used. There was a anti-virus called Checkmate. A virus called DieHard which had wrecked my computer. Some of the classy cames included Dr. Jones, Pizza, Commander Keen, GPCGA, Lotus, Wolf 3D, Tennis, Allan Border Cricket, Mortal Combat and Alladin.

There were days when my baby was sick. There was a virus attack. I felt terrible. Till the time the virus was off the computer, I was tensed. There were times, when the computer crashed and we had to change the hard disk or perhaps go for a full fledged upgrade. It felt terrible! It was like undergoing an operation! Installing all the softwares and loading the backups was like teaching it how to walk all over again!

It has been nearly 13 years since, and I have learnt a lot from my "baby". I cant imagine life without my baby! I have become more of a virtual being. I have some of the most precious data on my machine. My diary which perhaps would be like my autobiography! I feel more like myself when I am with my baby. Even if it means just sitting on the computer, listening to songs or playing some basic game, I love it. I just love to spend time with my baby. It sure is the Love of My Life!

Cheers!

No comments: